Hen has hurt leg- hip area I think..how can I help her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kperki, Nov 4, 2014.

1. kperki

kperki Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some chickens I have been rehabilitating. This particular little lady always had somewhat of a limp and at times she would kind of lean to one side and swing her leg around and bring her wing out. She never acted like she was in pain and I felt it and could not feel anything weird. Since it has been getting colder at night I noticed her having a harder time walking in the morning. She seemed stiffer. Then two days ago she came out of the best in the morning and went to hop on the roost and fell. She was limping more so and later when I checked her her leg was shaking. I put her in the kennel and am making sure she is resting it. She is no longer shaking and seems somewhat better but still really favoring the other leg. Is there any type of little brace or something I can make that could help her? Or would glucosamine help? Or Metcam I have from my little dogs hurt leg? I am pretty new to this so not sure what can be done to help her. She is eating fine. Or should I just have her on bed rest for a while?

Also a vet visit is not in the picture.

Thanks!

2. peppersow

peppersow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    What kind of chicken is she? if she's a heavy breed (Cochin, orpington, etc-) after you rehab her you should lower the roost, because they can get sprains from jumping off high things. I had a Cochin that had this same problem, and I just separated her for a few days in a dog kennel until the leg fixed itself. electrolytes would probably help her out to.
    Good luck! btw, how old is she?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? When she walks does she hold up the bad leg or does she drag it? I would examine the bottom of the foot first to look for signs of bumblefoot (redness and swelling with a dark spot on the footpad.) Then compare both legs and feet and joints up to the body for any swelling, redness, weeping, or toes curled under. Look at her eyes to make sure they are normal in color with normal round black pupils. I would keep her in the dog crate inside the coop with other chickens to rest, so that she doesn't lose her status in the flock. In her food or water, I would put some vitamins or dissolve a B complex tablet in the water each day. If a vet is an option a leg Xray could be done for a fracture.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. kperki

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure of her age, maybe 2-3 years old and I am not sure of her having a vaccine. I got her from a not so good situation and the guy was clueless. I had one of her flock mates die and the report showed malnutrition, tickets, and worms. No Mareks but on the other part of my property I had a pass away and she had mareks so I guess they all have been exposed due to the wind, my boots etc.

So I put up a little portable fence this afternoon around her kennel and she was doing much better. She was raising her foot way up and a lot of toe curling and she was pecking at it. I washed it and did not see anything. She does have those scaly leg mites that I put oil on for. I felt her legs and did not not feel anything strange. I am giving her liquid french vitamins in her water. I will add electrolites. By this evening she wAs no longer pecking at it and seemed much better. More like the limp she had before, not like it is painful like a few days ago. She is content for now with the kennel as she was in it at bed time and showed no interest in trying to get out. I think I will see how she does tomorrow maybe half day with flock and in future I just have her sleep in kennel. I did not realize about the pecking order had I removed her from the coop. I'm so glad I kept it in there. Thank you for that info. Everyone comes around her like normal in the kennel so hopefully there is no backlash when she is roaming with them. Good thing is it was almost 90 today so they just wanted to lay around in the cool coop so hopefully it is the same tomorrow and she won't over do it.

Oh also her pupils were fine as well as her appetite. I think she has arthritis and the cold nights we had last week didn't help her.

I got a heating pad thing that you put in microwave and then it gives off heat. It has a cover and I can put shavings on top so when it's cold it might help her. Anyone have any experience with those?

Thanks!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since there has been Mareks before, it can last at least 7 years in the environment. I think it could be what she has. The toe curling can be from Mareks or a vitamin deficiency (riboflavin.)

6. kperki

She did the toe curling and pecking for about 15 min. She had been in the kennel a couple days and not allowed to run around. She picked the band off on her leg I put on which was a small zip tie. After that she stopped picking and doing the toe curling. She is walking good with a slight limp and not pecking at her foot at all. They were severely malnourished and I am giving her those vits. Do you think I should add the b tablet mentioned?

Thanks for the quick response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by