Hen has injured eye, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by onthefarmnj, Oct 17, 2019.

1. onthefarmnj

onthefarmnj In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2019
    I just went out to give my girls a treat tonight and this is what I see (see photo)! No idea what happened! What can I do for my poor girl's eye? Should I treat it with (human) antibiotic eye drops?
    That's all I have on hand.
    View attachment 1937322

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you see any bubbles in the eye or any marks around the outside of the eye where she could have been pecked or injured? Does she have any nasal drainage, sneezing, or gasping? Swelling under and around any eye can be a sign of a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza. MG is more common, and there can be pus under the eye from sinus infection.

Sequel likes this.
  3. CJLR

CJLR Songster

Jun 9, 2019
    Poor girl can you get another picture please ? How old is she? Does it have pus in it ? Does it look infected or just wounded? For now i would flush it out with a saline solution and put the eye drops in it

4. onthefarmnj

Sep 3, 2019
    I don't see anything other than the swelling, no drainage or bubbles - but I will look again more closely after dark when I can get her out of the coop. She was snicking like 8 weeks ago and had stopped laying (I posted a thread about that and the consensus response seemed to be a respiratory infection of some kind). But she seemed to recover and started laying again a couple of weeks ago. She's eating well.

The swelling is only on one side/eye. When I when out to lock her up last night, she was under the coop rather than inside with the others, which has never happened before... I thought that was weird - but I didn't notice anything other than that, nor did I notice anything this morning (but I didn't really make a point to look at her closely either). It's possible that something happened yesterday and she got pecked or injured - and the swelling is just hitting it's peak.

5. onthefarmnj

Sep 3, 2019
    I will get more pictures and a better look when I go out and try to rinse it and give her drops. I don't know her age but I am pretty sure she was purchased at auction by the person I got her from, and she also has a trimmed beak, so I suspect she was at a commercial facility before she went to auction...making me think she is around 2-2 1/2 yrs?

CJLR likes this.
  6. onthefarmnj

Sep 3, 2019
    ok here are a bunch of photos, including one of her other eye, which looks normal.

No nasal discharge. No obvious pus. Eye was watering (it has to hurt though). Got a solid antibiotic drop in the eye. I guess all I can do at this point is to hope that it's better tomorrow. Please let me know if there are any other suggestions!

IMG_20191017_184351942.jpg
    i IMG_20191017_184155513.jpg IMG_20191017_184219599.jpg IMG_20191017_184357777.jpg

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, that does look painful. In the morning, I would try to squeeze any pus from around the eye, pressing the swollen part of the face, and wiping it out. Rinse her eye, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day after rinsing the eye. You can buy eye wash at Walmart or your oharmacy where the eye drops are sold. Here is a video which shows how to get pus out of the eye—see below. It may take several attempts and there also may be pus in the roof of her beak which also may need ro come out. I would also start an antibiotic such as Tylan or oxytetracycline. If you could see a vet, that would be best.

8. onthefarmnj

Sep 3, 2019
    Thank you, Eggcessive! That video is really gross but I am so glad you posted it. I will follow your suggestions. Thanks again!

Eggcessive likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is very gross, but it can be helpful. Many people see these infections, and are too afraid to hurt the chicken, but many times it will not improve without removing the pus.

10. onthefarmnj

Sep 3, 2019
    Update. Chicken the same despite treating eye with terramycin ointment. Have not been able to expel pus. Have talked to vet who recommends adding oral terramycin or tetracycline to treatment. Said I could get a powder at TSC but I am there now and they don't sell it anymore. They do have injectable for cows.. Should I try this? I do have needles but no idea of dose. Did not see vet in person as cost was 150 just to walk in the door and I thought I could get powder and treat myself... Advice?

Edit: found some terramycin tablets for cows, planning to crush and use as a powder. Found dose for chicken online. Wish me luck

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: