Hen has injured leg..Need advice!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Henhousequeen, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Henhousequeen

Henhousequeen New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    One of my favorite hens, Alfredo, has an injured leg. A neighborhood dog jumped our fence and terrorized our 7 hens 2 days ago, but Alfredo seemed to be untouched. The next day she never left the coop or put weight on her left leg, but did switch boxes to lay her egg. She did not leave the coop today either, and just stood on her R leg when we placed her on the ground. She is eating and drinking well and does not seem to be in severe pain. I have called the local farmer vet, but they weren't in today. I am very worried about her and want her to walk again so she can peck around with her friends. Should we take her out of the coop? Any advice would be much appreciated!!![​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If she seemed uninjured at first, maybe she just strained her leg muscles. It might be a good idea to put her in a crate with food and water and straw, that way she can rest that leg. At the very least, I would get ahold of her and look that leg over to see if you can detect a break, because maybe you could splint her leg. If her leg looks normal, she might just be sore from flailing around when that dog chased her.

Good luck,
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by