Hen has injured leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RSAChickenDude, Oct 26, 2009.

1. RSAChickenDude

RSAChickenDude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    George SA
    One of my New Hampshire Red hens has a badly injured leg.She went missing one afternoon and when she came back her leg had a large patch of scales missing.What should I do?

2. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    My barred rock fell off a roost and scraped all the scales off her foot. I just cleaned it well with warm water and perioxide. It was mostly on her big toe so we put a bandage on it. Keep it clean and watch for infection. It the wound scabs over and isn't moist, let it be, the scales will grow back. Is she limping?

3. RSAChickenDude

Jul 21, 2009
    George SA
    Yes my hen is limping I suspect that she was attacked by a Spotted Gennet a breed of wild cat we get in South Africa.I have seperated her from the other birds as one of the other hens is pecking her continuously.I have also been putting antiseptic on everyday.Have I been doing the right thing?

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would clean it and put neosporin on it. Be careful with peroxide. It can dry out the tissue and cause more tissue to die.

5. RSAChickenDude

Jul 21, 2009
    George SA
    Thanks for all the help my hen has sucessfully recovered and is now clucking on as usual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by