Hen has injuries from the rooster...what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannakat, Jan 22, 2011.

1. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Our poor little Gabby (our only Ameraucana hen)! She has been in the egg box for hours and we found that her back has been gashed (assuming it has to be from the rooster). I want to incubate some of her eggs next month to coinside with better weather but I don't want her hurt again. I'm also worried that the other girls might pick on her now. She is the queen of my little flock of 3 hens.

Would separating her be the answer or is this just what happens when you keep a roo? Am I being too overprotective and chicken stupid?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Your going to hafta take the spurs off of him by twisting them or get your hens some saddles.

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:Definitely separate her until she is well enough to go back with the rest of the flock.. I agree with cedar post on the spurs.. They definitely need to go! Pick the roo up and with one hand, hold both feet so that he is upside down.. Then grab one spur with a pair of pliers and twist.. It will come off fairly easily.. Do the same with the other one.. There will not be a whole lot of blood and you can stop it by just holding a towel or rag on it for a minute.. When it stops, use either blue-kote or blue food coloring on the spurs so they are not red and then you can put him back in there...

With only 3 hens, they are being overmated and he will end up tearing all of their backs up if you do not de-spur him...

Goddess [​IMG]

4. ipana

ipana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    There has been information elsewhere that the spurs may not really be the culprit. Check the toenails. They may be grabbing into the flesh. I don't know the answer but it's plausible that it's the nails since spurs generally begin to curve upward which would keep them from digging in.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the others are not picking at the wounds, I wuld separate the rooster and leave her with the other three hens. Your hen to rooster ratio is somewhat low, but this can happen with far more hens in the flock. Trim his toenails and spurs and allow him brief "conjugal" visits. One mating can easily fertilize 2+ weeks worth of eggs. No "visits" for the injured hen until she is completely healed.

6. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Thanks all! After reading what Cedar post said, I read the info here about how to remove/trim the spurs. We got the drummel tool out and while hubby held him, I rounded his spurs (they weren't very long but they were a bit sharp...he is 10 months old). While we had him, I also gave him a pedicure as his toenails were long and sharp.

We took Gabby out of the egg box and put her in a separate cage in the garage but she was so upset, after about 15 minutes we put her back in the egg box. I put food and water right beside her along with the usual daily treats of cottage cheese, kale, apple, cucumber, mealworms, etc. I made a separate plate for her since they usually spend their time in the covered pen. They really only go into the coop to lay eggs, and when its nighttime, to roost.

We did get to look closely at her wound and it's not really too bad. We're now wondering why she is still hiding in the egg box. I hope there isn't something we missed. [​IMG]

I had 2 more hens but we free range them and lost one in the summer and one in the fall. That's why I'm hoping to incubate some eggs....trying to get a few more hens. I don't think we are going to keep Carlos (the roo) long after the hatch though. He also attacks my husband every time he's near. Carlos doesn't bother me much...I have years of practicing the 'stink eye' having raised a slightly challenging son!!!!

Now to research separating the rooster..... don't really have accomidations but might be able to find something here at BYC to solve that problem too!

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Another possibility is to get rid of the rooster now and buy some fertile eggs in the Spring or when one of your hens goes broody.

8. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    sourland..... I'm already giving that some serious thought since others mentioned the hen/roo ratio being so off.... I really wanted some of their chicks [​IMG] She is a Blue Ameraucana and his is a gorgeous Black Ameraucana. BUT, I can't stand the thought of her being hurt. Oh my....[​IMG]

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Purt neosporin on the wound if you haven't already.........
    JJ

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there any possibility that her spending time in the nest box is early broodiness that just happens to be coincidental to the injury?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by