hen has lump on chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zuluman, Dec 15, 2007.

1. zuluman

zuluman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    hi
    ...one of my hens has what looks like a lump on her chest ..sort of on the right side of the lower neck the size of an egg and her vocals are very soft and sounds like its restricted .other than that shes happily walking around and eating heaps .. shes about 15 months old .. i will post a couple of pics of her on my page .. please can anyone help

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Likely it's her crop all stuffed with what she has eaten that day. If it is her crop, it should be much smaller in the morning after the food has processed further down her system during her rest at night. If not, post again and someone with way more chicken knowledge than me will answer you back. Darlene

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    I agree with Darlene about the crop. you may need to restrict her feed for a little while to see if it goes down. maybe a little massage to get it moving a little. If it does not then you may have an impacted crop and it will require more attention. Do a search for impacted crop on the search option and I think there are photos of this problem with ways to aleviate it.

Randy

4. zuluman

Oct 3, 2007
    thanks guys
    . its morning now and i just went out and checked and her crop looks smaller .. i also looked at other peoples crop problems . and im going to cut right down hand feeding and my border has been also hand feeding bread preety much everyday everyday . just told me . no more just the pellet food and what they eat running around rhe back yard.. thanks again

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feeding bread can lead to a yeast infection of the crop. Sometimes they get yeast infections anyway too, just like we can. Smell her breath and if it's sour that could be the reason her crop is so boggy. If it is not resolved by going back to her regualr feed it may require treatment.

6. zuluman

Oct 3, 2007
    yea thanks very much .. i just looked now and its much better .. what can i hand feed them by hand that they will like and wont cause problems .. now that im not hand feeding them bread anymore they dont come up to me as much ..and they dont like me as much:( ..thx

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Make sure they're getting a little grit (small stones/pebbles) to help with digestion......

Mine get HUGE right before bed time, they eat alot in the evening, by morning their chests are as flat as mine! [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    ZULU ? DO you live in Kwazulu Natal? Just curious....
    If so - I grew up in your back yard!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  9. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Hi Zuluman
    I'm sure your hens still like you. They will always give you extra attention if you have food. I give mine sunflower hearts by hand. They love those. Sometimes I give them layers pellets by hand also. It encourages them to eat more of them.

10. zuluman

Oct 3, 2007
    Wildsky ..when you say Make sure they're getting a little grit (small stones/pebbles) .
    are they eating that all day walking around the back yard.?
    they are let out all day everyday , i think thats what u mean anyway ..and i live in melbourne /au..

and warren i also give layer pellets everyday.. il try to get some sunflower hearts also

thanks people ..here iare my chooks on utube

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by