1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Has Mucous Coming From Mouth And Lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dinologano, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinologano

dinologano Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    I hope someone can help. Hen stopped eating and drining and just sits there with eyes shut. She will open eyes when aroused. Today notices some mucous hanging out of her mouth. I've given her some electrolytes with vitamins but only about 10cc and tried to give her some yogurt, but she didn't take much. Today gave her another 10cc and gave some mash. Took one or two pecks. Then made her a scrambled egg and not sure yet if she's eating that. Eyes and nostrils seem clear so far.

Anyone have any ideas. Would appreciate some help.

Deane

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
  3. dinologano

dinologano Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks. Did list more a few days ago, but no response.

Hen is a Salmon Favorelle
    enclosed pen with pine shavings.
    Shes' about 2 lbs.
    I can't afford a vet
    Been giving her via syringe about 10cc fluid containing that orange powder by Duvet or Durvet.
    Tried giving her yogurt, but not much success. I just put down some pellets mashed with water and then put in some scrambled egg. She did peck at it, but don't think she ate much. No signs of pooping.
    When I pick her up she seems alert momentarily and then closes her eyes. Eyes and nostrils appear clear.
    I don't smell any bad odor.

That's all i can think of.

If I get nothing else to try I'll get some Sulmet and try that. Need to do something she won't last long this way.

Hope that helps

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=258949

Let's
    keep the discussion together in case someone can spot something in a post that might give a clue to what is going on.

Sorry, but not sure what the problem is. Depending on age, it could just be plain failure to thrive, could have eaten something bad that crawled into the coop, could have something wrong inside, could have a tumor of some sort. Hard to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by