Hen has poopie butt after laying strange egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peach2u, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Peach2u

Peach2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Harrison Bay, TN
    Hello, My favorite 16 month old EE hen has a problem. Last week she laid an egg with a chalky clumpy film on it. She didn't lay it in the nest box just in the coop. She has not laid an egg since and she has a poopy butt. She was laying a green 78-83 gram egg 6 days a week. I think that is jumbo sized for a chicken. She runs in the yard free ranged with the other. She still eats, drinks and poops.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Peach2u

Mar 25, 2011
    Harrison Bay, TN
    I was worried an egg was stuck. After I checked her out, I can feel not egg inside. However, The whole vent area is puffy and a discharge is coming from the vent. Also the whole vent area is wet. She runs with the other chickens. She has been eatting and drinking. She does sit with her tail up high. She still isn't laying eggs. Any ideas to help her.

3. Peach2u

Mar 25, 2011
    Harrison Bay, TN
    Well since no one knew what was going on. I just went with what I knew. I gave her a warm bath and dried her off. Then I dewormed every one as well and used sevin dust in bedding. I didn't see any bugs on them or in the pen so it was just over kill. I added oyster shells to the layer feed. I made sure she got first pick over the scraps. Then I just waited. About a week later she laid an egg very small and thin shelled. I broke it picking it up. Then next day the egg laid was normal. And in a week of laying only missed 1 day. The eggs have just been getting bigger. She is now up to a jumbo size again. I love her brite green eggs. And can't wait till next year to make her a mommy with my splash Maran!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by