Hen has Raspy breathing when stressed what is wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scarletbaby, Jul 24, 2011.

1. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    My hen has been having a really hard time breathing when she is stressed. Last week I gave her a bath and I swear she was going to die because her breathing was so horrible. She was gasping for air and I kept hearing this raspy noise. She is somewhat fine now but her breathing worsens when she is picked up. None of the other chickens are having a hard time breathing and we havent changed anything to her diet or living conditions. I'm not sure what her poops look like but I dont see any abnormal ones laying around. Does she look sickly?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was her when she was younger. Is it normal for them to change color so much?
    [​IMG]
    So what do you think is wrong with her?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:How old is your hen? she looks very healthy to me in the pics, no runny nose or eyes. Is it very hot where you are? Maybe the heat and humidity is causing her discomfort. How long has she been like this? If she only does it when stressed maybe you could try something like Dr.Bachs rescure remedy on her next time you have to do something to her that brings the stress on.

3. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    She is a little over a year old now and it has been going on for about a month. It has been really hot but could that really cause her breathing problems? When should i be really concerned? I don't plan on giving her a bath for awhile (way too wet and messy) but I'll be sure to look into that if it gets worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by