Hen has red feet and legs and slow egg laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyuu, Aug 24, 2013.

1. kyuu

kyuu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    My red sex link recently has been laying a lot less than before (and when she does lay, the shell is very thin) and I found out that every time I let my chooks out on the lawn she gets red feet and legs the next day. She also seems a tiny bit lethargic although she does eat and drink, just a bit dazed. Is this something I should be concerned about or am I just paranoid? [​IMG] Is she allergic to something, I've heard her sneeze quite a bit (Her feet and legs have been normal until this month so could it be something seasonal?) It's winter here in Australia but it's a warm winter. Also, the coop gets cleaned once or twice a day if that's any help.
    Thank you!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Red feet and legs in my hens and roosters are a sign of good fertility and is normal. Scaly leg mites can cause reddening of the legs, but there should be raised scales too. Your chicken may not be getting enough calcium in her diet. Adding crushed oystershell in a container to eat free choice is good, also just throw down some crushed eggshells for her to eat. Mine think it is a treat when I do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by