Hen has significant vison loss; no physical signs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nisei, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Nisei

Nisei New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    My hen had an impacted crop that had soured. She had lost a lot of weight. I brought her in the house and kept her in a dog crate we use as our chicken hospital. I was able to clear the crop. She was getting back to normal, eating, drinking and regaining strength. Then suddenly she got extremely lethargic...barley opened eyes w/attempts to rouse.

The next day seemed mostly back to normal except now she has very limited vision...too little to function in coop & run. There are no physical signs of a problem. Her pupils do react to light. Wondering what could have caused it? Malnutrition from impacted crop (she lost a lot of weight)? Yeast in sour crop? Is there any likelihood of her vision recovering? Is there anything I can do to improve her vision?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] Hi and Welcome!

I have a few questions:
    How did you resolve the sour crop? Did you use any type of medications?
    What do you feed her?
    Has she been wormed?
    How old is she?
    Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
    Do you have any photos of her and her eyes?

I'm grasping at straws here, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

It's possible that it could be due to malnutrition. Give her some poultry vitamins that contain Vitamins A and E. Poultry Nutri-Drench contains both, so if you can get that at your feed store that would be good, if not check your labels. (Poultry Nutri-Drench dosage is 1cc per 3lbs). Feed her her normal poultry feed and add some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

There's really no way to know what the cause is, hopefully she will respond to vitamins and nutrition.

Some other things could be some type of stroke or seizure, or she is developing a symptoms from disease like Marek's or something similar.

Keep her hydrated. If you have a vet that would be best.

Let us know how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by