Hen has sour crop I think......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wil781, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    This morning when I let my hens out they all went about their normal morning routines, they all headed for their feed (fermented). I assume they all ate but may not have, any way I came back out around 2 this afternoon and I had a hen laying down by the waterer. This is not normal ever, they are excited and are strutting up and down by the front fence looking for either sprouts or fruit that I take to them every afternoon, well Henrietta did not get up so I picked her up and when I did she proceeded to spit fluid out of her beak. She does not smell sour but her crop is very squishy just like a big water ballon. What should I do? This first year of chicken keeping is becoming a very educational year. I have read so many different things from make her vomit to don't make her vomit. Please any help is soooo much appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, it sounds like sour crop all right. Sour crop usually doesn't smell unless it's been going on for a while. No, you don't want to make her vomit. It risks getting the sour liquid into her airway and if it gets into the lungs, it's a bad thing.

The good news is it's usually easy to treat and your hen will feel better in just a few days, however, the treatment needs to go a full seven days to be sure the yeast is all gone.

I finally wrote it all down in an article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ to make it easy for folks to know what to do.

The only time I've had a sour crop not respond to treatment was when the hens were sick with an underlying disease that caused their immune systems to shut down and they would not respond to any efforts to make them well.

3. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    Thank you for replying, I just finished reading your article and I have have two questions #1 should I mix the Miconazole in with scrambled egg or should I try with a syringe (I have no experience with syringe feeding and am really scared I will choke her) and #2 should I discard eggs due the medication. Thanks again your article makes more sense than any of the other advise I have been hearing!

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No need to discard her eggs. You may be able to get her to take the miconazole right off your finger. If you put the dose into her favorite food, be sure it's in the first bite she takes so she gets the full dose.

I've found it's very easy to put the miconazole cream on the tip of my finger and open the beak and wipe it off onto a corner of her mouth. The suppositories are even easier to pop into the beak. The suppository can be divided into about four doses.

If you need to use a syringe, if you give it in the right side of her mouth, it will go down the esophagus which is located to the right of the airway which is in the center of the throat. (I'm talking about the chicken's right side.)

Most of us here have had to learn to treat our chickens ourselves since avian vets are scarce. You'll learn, too.

Wil781 likes this.
  5. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    I have given her the first dose by wiping in corner of her mouth. She is not interested in food so I will try her again later with some scrambled egg. I will update. Thanks again!!

ChickNanny13 and azygous like this.
  6. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    Update on Henrietta: she has had her third dose today of the Miconazole this morning I have brought her in my mudroom in a dog crate so I can monitor her water intake. Yesterday she would not eat and drank very little, this morning she has drank about a half a cup of water since I brought her in 3 hours ago. I scrambled her an egg and gave her some vanilla Yoplait (all I had) yogurt thinking it will intice her to take some nurishment. She is panting which seems unusual since she is inside. Her comb is pink not bright red but her wattles are still red, I think she is doing better but still her crop is squishy but I can tell it has gone down some. I will update again, any thoughts on how you think she should be doing at this point? Thanks

azygous and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sour crop patients make progress according to their own individual immune system and ability to fight off infections. Progress, even if slight, is still progress.

Try to find foods without sugar added because sugar feeds yeast.

8. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    Oh so the yogurt will feed the yeast, well I will take it away and just give eggs thank you again! I forgot to add that she did lay an egg this morning, so she must be doing better.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  9. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    Update: My Henrietta had a seizure and died. She started throwing up fluid and started seizing and died. She never coughed, sputtered, nothing just instant death :hit

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Oh no! I'm so sorry! There was obviously something more serious going on than just the sour crop. Sometimes sour crop happens because of another more serious health issue such as tumors. She may have had heart failure.

I understand how you feel. I've had chickens die right in my arms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: