Hen has stopped going up ramp

KazzaMags

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
Our 4 rescue hens have been happily going up the ramp to the coop since day 1 in August 2021 - a week ago two of them were still out under the coop when we went to close pop.hole. We thought it was a one off - and after some wrangling - got them into coop. But.. same thing next night. I blocked off the underneath part of coop the next evening before they were due to go up. This worked!! BUT ... next night 2 hens left outside in run - so I watched the following night and discovered one is refusing to go up and is forcing another hen to stay with her and she tucks herself underneath the other poor hen! When I separated them - the other went up into the coop. The refuser circled many times but didnt go up - eventually trying to hide under the hanging feeder!! We are now putting her in the middle of the ramp each evening and she goes up - but not till we do this!! Why is she doing this??????

I've been watching our hens each evening and the problem for 2 of them definitely seems to be the ramp. My husband let them out this morning - 2 negotiated the ramp perfectly - the other 2 - the refusers- more or less fell down the ramp. This could be their reason for not wanting to go up in the evening! I'm not sure what to do - any suggestions? The ramp is wide with wooden batons for grip and the other 2 walk up and down perfectly. It isnt very high or at a steep pitch. Do I give up and build a 2nd coop at ground level???? Any ideas?

I'd give their feet and legs a very thorough visual inspection. Look for any lesions or swelling. Feel the length of the legs for heat.

What do you feed your birds? Is their feed pellet/crumble or whole bits of grain? What treats and quantities? Vitamin deficiencies can manifest as leg and balance issues.

The ramp is the one in your avatar photo? Try reducing the slope of it by propping the floor end on a cinder block, and see if that helps.
Thanks, we are going to try that - we have neighbours who also have chickens, but they fly up to their roost. We can't get our girls to lift their feet off the ground! They are refusing to roost - even though I have put in a ladder lying flat, only a few inches off the ground - they prefer sitting in the hay and straw on the floor of the coop!

Is there splinters on the ramp? It could also be because her feet are swollen and it has nothing to do with the ramp
No splinters and their feet seem fine - they genuinely seem to have problems remembering how to get onto the ramp!

I'd give their feet and legs a very thorough visual inspection. Look for any lesions or swelling. Feel the length of the legs for heat.

What do you feed your birds? Is their feed pellet/crumble or whole bits of grain? What treats and quantities? Vitamin deficiencies can manifest as leg and balance issues.
We feed them layers pellets, corn as a treat and then they free range around our garden and pick up lots of bugs etc. They are healthy and seem happy - apart from one refusing the ramp and forcing another one to join her!

Back
Top Bottom