Hen has swollen area around her eye? Help is it Corza?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodiLynn, Sep 13, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    One of my hens has some swelling around one eye. It is hard to notice and very subtle but if you compare to the other side you can tell. Also she stinks more than the other chickens and has for awhile but she is always dust bathing in weird places because they are free ranged, so we thought it had something to do with that but now I am worried it may be Corza?

I am slowly hatching out some breed quality chickens and plan on selling hatching eggs eventually so I am lost on what to do! She is a sweet hen and lays great, any advice would be greatly appriciated! I do have antibiotics on hand if needed but hate to treat unless necessary. Pic to follow (once camera charges)

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I highly recommend that you quarantine her and watch for other symptoms. If the foul odor is enaminating from the head area, it could possibly very well be coryza. Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and read about it if you wish:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    I suspected so. Will the others show symptoms? Would I have to cull all of my birds if this is the case?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you read the link about Infectious Coryza, you wouldve read that it's contageous and birds will be carriers. I recommend that you cull the sick bird and keep an eye on the others for symptoms and cull accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  5. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Yes I have read about it, I was afraid that this was it.

6. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Can she pass it through her eggs? I did not see that answer on there?

7. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pictures of both sides. Coryza?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by