Hen has swollen eye with foamy discharge, breathing through mouth and coughing

HollowMtnChick

Hatching
Mar 6, 2016
Hi. I am new to this site and in need of advice. I have a sweet barred rocks hen "Ducky" who is almost a year old now. She has a very swollen eye with some foamy discharge. I dont think she cant open her eye at all. Almost looks like it is swollen shut. She is breathing through her mouth and coughs on occasion. She has been sleeping a lot during all hours of the day and just looks miserable. She has been in my house, in a large cage since the incident. She just lays in her cage and gets up occasionally to eat and drink in small amounts. This all started about a week ago after she was attacked by a dog. I initially thought her neck was broken because the dog bite her in the face. I was so upset! My girls mean everything to me. I think she was just in shock because the next day she could hold her head up. But the next day she started developing these symptoms. While she seems to be improving ever so slightly, she is still sick and I need help/advice on what to do. All of my other birds are fine and happy. Her droppings were green at first but are very slowly returning to normal. I have been giving her small amounts of ACV in her water. I would like to treat her myself and I would appreciate any help/advice. I cant stand seeing my sweet girl like this!

Welcome to BYC. Are these symptoms a result of the dog attack? Have you tried to clean the eye out, and is there any drainage or pus? Is she eating normally. You may want to give her some chopped egg or tuna, and some feed with water added. Some terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel to her eye might help treat any infection.

Yes, her symptoms started after she was attacked by a dog. I have not tried cleaning her eye out. I will look into that. She is eating small amounts of food but I wouldn't call it normal. I will look into the eye ointments/gel as well. I worry that she is still breathing through her mouth and coughing. Any advice about that?

Back
Top Bottom