Hen has swollen painful feet

BarredRhodeGold

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
My 7-year-old hen has been sick for a while now, maybe a month? At first, I didn't notice, but upon closer inspection, her feet were red and swollen. I did scour these threads a bit for information, but I'm not sure if its bumblefoot as I don't see any telltale spots on her feet. Is it gout? Both feet are quite swollen in the same way. Her comb has also been limp and she has been shedding feathers. She does have an appetite if you bring the food to her, but since her feet look painful to walk around with, she doesn't really move around.

I did try bathing her feet in epsom salts today, will update with progress.

Does anyone know what this is? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 30
Aw the poor girl!! That looks like gout to me! I have read up on it but not seen it first hand but the swelling around her 'ankles' and toes looks exactly like what I've seen.
I do not know if there is anything you can do to actually treat gout... but others might be able to be more helpful.

Since the swelling is located more around the ankles than involving the whole foot, I am thinking that this could be a bacterial joint infection, and mycoplasma synovitis is a common one. Staphylococcus, E.coli, or other bacteria found in coops can also cause this. The chickens can be lame or limping, and may develop breast blisters or abscesses on their keels from lying on the ground.

Do you see any swelling of her upper leg joints as well? A vet would be good to help you get a diagnosis and find the right antibiotic to help, although antibiotic treatment is not generally successful. It is probably painful, so anti-inflammatory medicine, such as aspirin or meloxicam from the vet might be helpful.
Here is some reading about MS:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-in-poultry

Since the swelling is located more around the ankles than involving the whole foot, I am thinking that this could be a bacterial joint infection, and mycoplasma synovitis is a common one. Staphylococcus, E.coli, or other bacteria found in coops can also cause this. The chickens can be lame or limping, and may develop breast blisters or abscesses on their keels from lying on the ground.

Do you see any swelling of her upper leg joints as well? A vet would be good to help you get a diagnosis and find the right antibiotic to help, although antibiotic treatment is not generally successful. It is probably painful, so anti-inflammatory medicine, such as aspirin or meloxicam from the vet might be helpful.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-in-poultry
X2

At any rate, if your hen appears to be suffering, or unable to get around, I would think about putting her down. Then it would be good to contact your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. They will be able to identify either the gout or the MS, or whatever she has. You may want to try giving her aspirin to help the pain and inflammation. Dosage is one 81 mg baby aspirin twice a day, or you can crush one 325mg adult aspirin (or four 81 mg baby aspirin) in a quart or liter of water. Here is a good link that you may want to save to contact your state vet or lab:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Her upper legs seem to be fine, just near her feet is where the swelling is.

Back
Top Bottom