Hen has swollen purple, red bald spot under vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SherryLewis, Jul 14, 2016.

1. SherryLewis

SherryLewis New Egg

Jul 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought a chicken that was a year and a half old about 8 months ago. So she's now 2ish. When I bought her she had a bare white spot under her vent. The lady I bought her from said the other chickens had pecked the feathers away. Over time the spot has grown bigger and become swollen. Today I noticed the spot is very big, swollen, red and purple. There's also a buildup of dried poop above it, but not blocking her vent. The spot is hot to the touch, soft but with a firmness also. I've attached two pictures. I didn't want to push too hard on it. The shell of the last egg she laid two days ago had a thin shell. I've noticed her poop had been dark, watery, sometimes with dark seedy chunks in it. My 6 year old daughter said she has seen her throw up dark liquid, but I haven't seen this myself. She is getting around fine and eating well. She's almost always waiting for us at the back door. She's been like this since we got her. Another detail that may be important is that when I bought her and her sister right away they got a respiratory illness and gave it to the rest of my flock (didn't know at the time about keeping them separate for a bit). I treated them with antibiotics but her sister died. I've read this could be an egg stuck inside of her but I haven't found consistent information. She's one of the favorites. I hope we can help her! Any advice appreciated.

2. SherryLewis

SherryLewis New Egg

Jul 14, 2016
    I hope someone has some advice to share! I'm a new member and did not find what I was looking for in the archives. But if any of you know of a thread that would help me I'd love if you send me the link! Thanks so much.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    These types of enlargements under the vent can be from different problems, such as a cyst, hernia, cancer, or egg yolk peritonitis. I have a hen with an even larger red sack there. She lays an occasional egg. A recent thread was about a hen who had one of these, and the owner found her being eviscerated by the other chickens when the sack apparenty burst or was pecked open. My hen has been like this for almost 2 years, and doesn't seem to be in any distress. I am probably going to put her down soon, but after I decided that, she laid a couple of eggs, LOL. I will try sending you a thread or two.

1 person likes this.
  4. soup and stew

soup and stew New Egg

Apr 26, 2015
    it probaly is an egg so she might be egg bond feel it and if it is hard it probally is and egg also talk to a local vet

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by