Hen has very poor appetite since recovering from sour crop

Jeanne12

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
Around May 16 my hen vomited as I picked her up . I treated her with yeast infection products, poultry cell, and gradually added yogurt and feed .
She hesitated eating anything except for cucumber seeds. A local poultry owner helped me immensely by taking her for a day to see maybe she was being bullied.
I have been assessing her crop the last three weeks to see if it is full or boggy. I make sure she has access to an assortment of food. She did lay an egg a week after returning to her flock
Yesterday she stumbled twice heading to the coop. When I picked her up she vomited water that was not foul smelling. I massaged her crop vigorously last night cause the last time we treated for the sour crop she was obstructed.
She poo'd several times in the dog kennel last night and did eat the cucumber seeds .
She runs along with the flock to eat the blueberries or meal worms but stops short of consuming . She does forage the yard for insects . She is very skinny.
I have offered her cat food, wet poultry crumbles, meal worms, crushed pumpkin seeds, yogurt, raw egg, cooked egg ,tomatoes, romaine lettuce, yogurt , cottage cheese, millet, and grit.
Her poo has no foul smell . Her mouth is clean. She barely eats and I wonder if there is anything I am missing or any food I should offer her.

You may want to find a vet to see her. Generally crop problems mean things can't move through the digestive tract well. Chickens can consume all kinds of things that can cause problems, and blockages. Sick birds will often act like they are eating while they slowly deteriorate.

Back
Top Bottom