Hen has weird pus lump

issled

Hatching
Nov 9, 2018
I picked up one of my hens this morning and gave her a bit of a pat, but I came across this weird lump hiding under her feathers. I squeezed it a bit and it seemed to have lots of pus in it She doesn't seem upset by the lump - her behaviour has been completely normal recently - and she cooed lightly in protest when I squeezed it, but it wasn't a squawk of outrage.

I have no idea what it is or what to do about it

Attachments

• 67349132_2400038706940817_5257483034835288064_n.jpg
    67349132_2400038706940817_5257483034835288064_n.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 71
Closeups are good, but we also need context. That means we need to know where on the chicken the lesion is located and how large it is.

Some areas of a chicken's body are susceptible to ingrown feathers - the butt and feathered feet. The spiny thing poking out of the center may be an ingrown feather follicle. If you look very closely, you may be able to see it's actually a "u"shaped thing and if you tweeze it up, it may just pop out of its bed.

You might need to take a razor blade or Exacto knife and make a tiny nick at the base of the spiny thing to release it. Spray Vetericyn on it or dab some antibiotic ointment on it when you're done.

Closeups are good, but we also need context. That means we need to know where on the chicken the lesion is located and how large it is.

Some areas of a chicken's body are susceptible to ingrown feathers - the butt and feathered feet. The spiny thing poking out of the center may be an ingrown feather follicle. If you look very closely, you may be able to see it's actually a "u"shaped thing and if you tweeze it up, it may just pop out of its bed.

You might need to take a razor blade or Exacto knife and make a tiny nick at the base of the spiny thing to release it. Spray Vetericyn on it or dab some antibiotic ointment on it when you're done.

It's about 8mm long and maybe 3mm thick at the base, and on her lower back. I'll have another look at it and try to tweeze it tonight. I did think it might be an ingrown feather but didn't realise that was something a chicken could get!

Woah I just googled preen gland, and that's absolutely what it is! All that panic for nothing! Phew
All those library books on chicken keeping that I checked out - not one of them mentioned it :hmm

Thank you so much for everyone's replies!

Glad the issue is resolved. I hope you can see now how important context is when providing photos so we can see precisely what is where and be able to judge size relationships.

I like the idea of two photos minimum. One a well focused closeup and another a view farther out showing where on a chicken's body the issue at hand is located.

Photographing an object exuded from a chicken such as fecal matter or an egg or other discharges are much more helpful when you place a familiar object beside them for scale, such as a coin or a pencil.

They say a photo is worth a thousand words, but even a photo needs some clarification in order to be helpful. And words are still very necessary when we are out here trying to help but can't see, smell, or observe behavior.

Back
Top Bottom