Hen has went broody!!! yippy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jersy87, May 18, 2010.

1. jersy87

jersy87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    One of my hens has finally went broody. She is my wynodotte/australorp/buff cross.. She start offically sitting about 4days ago. Im just gonna let nature take its coarse. My only concern is she is on the first level nesting boxes which is approx 1 1/2 foot off floor. I do not want to move her or disturb her as i dont wnat to make her not broody. Will chicks be okay?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    First off, Congratulations! Second, if you're going to leave her there, make sure you mark those eggs and check daily for an extras that might get laid in that nest box if she gets up to eat and drink. You could always just move her after she hatches them, but you may want to consider moving her now, rather than later.

3. meezermom

meezermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Roy WA
    Move her nest after dark & she should be just fine [​IMG]

4. jersy87

jersy87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    She rarely leaves her nest only about once a day... no new eggs are added ive counted.
    My previous hen who looked broody I started messing with nest and she stopped being broody. So I decided not to touch hers. I guess what ill do is just make sure im around the day they are suppose to hatch and be sure they dont fall and get hurt..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by