Hen has wounds just above her feet! What is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tryxichicks, Aug 25, 2010.

1. tryxichicks

tryxichicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi everyone!
    I am brand new to this site, but I need some help.
    I have a 6 month old Buff Orpington with wounds on her "ankles". They don't seem to be bothering her, but she had one once before I took her to the vet because it got infected, antibiotics cleared it up. Now its back and on both legs!
    She is eating and drinking, and seems to feel ok. My hens eat organic layer pellets and fresh veggies, and cracked corn as a treat. They always have grit and oyster shell available. There hen house is about two and a half feet of the ground, they have a ramp, but usually just "flutter" up or down. There flooring in the coop is dirt and pine shavings over small grade chicken wire.
    The wounds look like small cuts, almost like a scale is missing, no pus, its not scaly leg mites and doesn't look like bumblefoot. I'm stumped. I'm watching it closely and trying to keep them clean.
    Could it be my other hens pecking her?
    The vet thought it was a puncture wound last time that got infected...It doesn't look like it to me especially on both feet. Any ideas on what could be going on?
    Thanks so much!

2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    would it be possible to get pics? I know chicken feet aren't the easiest to photograph, but that might help some of the more knowledgeable folks here ?

3. tryxichicks

Aug 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

Im not sure if this will work...I don't know how to post a pic here yet

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    the only way I know to do pics is to click on post reply, look at the top tool bar (under the ad banner) and you will see "Uploads"
    click on that, click on "browse" and that will take you to your computer system to find the photo. Once you upload it, you can click on the same "uploads" tab and at the bottom is "my uploads" and your pic should be there.

sorry if this is confusing... I don't know computers any better than I know chickens lol

5. tryxichicks

Aug 25, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the other foot, see where it looks like part of a scale is missing...

6. tryxichicks

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks for the help with uploading the pics!!! I would've tried all night!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by