Hen hasn't been acting normal. Trying yogurt.....????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannakat, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    [​IMG] I have a RIR who started going off by herself when they are free ranging. She finds a place under some brush and just sits. Over the past 2 weeks her butt has gotten really poop covered as well AND she stopped laying eggs.

We washed her butt off today since it's so warm out and I gave her some feed with plain yogurt. Should I be checking for something else? If she was acting normal, I wouldn't be alarmed, but she has changed her behaviour. She will still come and get treats and she hangs with the other sometimes...just not very much.

[​IMG]

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Not sure..but she almost sounds broody. Does she make a little nest when she sets?

3. laura949

laura949 New Egg

Oct 7, 2010
    This is the same thing that happened to my leghorn about two weeks ago. Yesterday there was a dramatic change. She now can barely walk and I have separated her from the rest of the flock. I am here trying to figure out what is wrong with her. I am starting her on antibiotics and doing more research.

4. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    No, she doesn't really seem broody...no growling or puffing up. I don't think broodiness would cause the poopy butt.

I'm going to check them for mites tonight...??? If it's too much grass then the yogurt should help but she obviously isn't 'herself'. [​IMG]

5. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:Please let me know what you find out....

6. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    crapola.....[​IMG] I think she has mites. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by