Hen Hasn't Laid Eggs in a Week!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by citychickinthecountry, Oct 28, 2009.

1. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    My Black Tailed White Japanese Bantam hasn't laid an egg in 5 or 6 days (she's been laying eggs for about a month now). She had been laying an egg every other day. She hasn't laid an egg since the day before another one of my hens started laying her first egg.

Should I be worried? She's not showing any signs of bad health (acting normally, eating just fine, moving normally, doesn't seem bound up (passing feces)).

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I would not worry. There are a huge number of factors that could be the reason why she stopped laying.
    #1 shorter day light hours. Hens need at least 14 hours of daylight to lay regularly

#2 cold weather. Alot of breeds don't like or lay well in the cold.

#3 molting. Many hens will quit laying when they start a molt. They need to put all of their nutrition and energy into growing new feathers

#4 stress or changes in the envirionment. Hens are moody and will quit laying if they get stressed

Give her time. Figure out what she needs, if anything. She will start up again [​IMG]

3. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Okay, I'll go through your items and see if any of them fit her:

#1 shorter day light hours--This is quite possible since the seasons are starting to change and it's getting darker sooner.

#2 cold weather--This is a definite no since I live in Florida and we've had 80+ degree weather.

#3 molting--She's not molting...maybe she's going to start soon?

#4 stress or changes in the envirionment--No changes in environment; unless another hen laying eggs is making her jealous?

I'll think a little more about #2 and #4. Thanks for the input. [​IMG]

4. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Okay, so we're at a week and a half now; still no more eggs. She's not molting (found this out from another message I posted), it's not too hot or too cold where I live, she's not stressed, and there's been no change in her environment.

What else could it be? I'm worried!!! [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Could you post a pic of her? I just want to see what she looks like.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

This was going on with my hens several weeks ago. I read somewhere on here that apples keep them from laying. Turns out I had been giving my hens lots of apples. I stopped giving them the apples and about 3 days later we were back to normal.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My speckled Sussex quit for two weeks and finally just laid another egg today. Wierd I know.

8. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Quote:Here she is....her name is Angel.

[​IMG]

9. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

She's a pretty one! She's free ranging? I she hiding her eggs from you? Somewhere in the bushes?

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:That is very possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by