Hen hasn't layed 1st egg yet but is on nest at 8 pm in dark-What's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Sep 4, 2009.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    Help me out please chicken experts... these are my first hens so this is new territory for me.

Background - got hens as day old chicks. They're about 5 1/2 months old now. Have a BO, BR and an EE. All have red wattles and faces and have been doing the egg squat for over two weeks. No eggs so far though. Impatiently waiting - LOL.

Tonight I went out to the coop to lock them up for the night and noticed the EE wasn't on the roost. I got very nervous because the three of them are always together on the roost. I found her in the nestbox sitting on the golfball I put in there a few days ago. I petted her to see how she would react, but she went into the egg squat right away and lifted her tailfeathers up. I could look under her tail and see the golf ball, but no eggs.

[​IMG]

This was 8 pm and it was dark out....

What's going on? Is this normal behavior? I thought chickens always roosted at night. I didn't think she'd have any interest in sitting on a golf ball in a nest since she hasn't layed an egg yet.

Thanks!!!!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    When they first begin laying, I think they sometimes get confused. I've had pullets sit on a nest on & off for days before laying their first egg. She's probably just getting the feeling and wants to make sure she's in a comfortable spot...pic looks like the next box is really nice & comfy!

Looks like you will soon have eggs! [​IMG]

3. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    My EE hen has been sitting in the nest box on and off all week, and yesterday she laid her first (beautiful sky blue!) egg and another one this morning. You should be getting an egg from your hen any day!! Oh and mine is 30 or 31 weeks old.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    wjallen, I had two EEs a few years back that were 32 and 33 weeks before they laid! But you know what? They both lay JUMBO sized eggs! so, I guess that's the benefit of them laying when they are older.

5. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    Thanks for the great advice.

I'm giddy with excitement.

My kids are ready to explode! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by