HEN HASN'T LEFT BOX ALL DAY. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie momma di, Feb 9, 2009.

1. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    I POSTED THIS AT FIRST UNDER EGG LAYING AND BEHAVIORS BUT THOUGHT IT MAYBE SHOULD BE HERE INSTEAD.
    GRACIE IS A 27 WEEK OLD BUFF ORPH HEN. SHE STARTED LAYING AT 20 WEEKS AND HAS ONLY TAKEN 3 DAYS OFF SINCE. SHE ALWAYS GREETS ME WHEN SHE HEARS MY CAR WHEN I COME HOME FROM WORK. TODAY SHE DID NOT. [​IMG] HUBBY SAID SHE HASN'T LEFT THE BOX ALL DAY. THEY (MR CHUBBS & GRACIE MAE) LIVE IN AN INSLUATED HOUSE WITH ABOUT 8 IN OF HAY ON THE FLOOR. NO DRAFTS. 4 LAYING BOXES TO CHOOSE FROM BUT USES THE SAME ONE ALL THE TIME. SHE HAS NOT GONE THROUGH A MOLT YET. IS IT POSSIBLE SHE IS GOING BROODY? I'M SO NEW AT THIS I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S NORMAL OR NOT. SHE HAS BEEN HAND RAISED SINCE BEING HATCHED. THIS IS JUST NOT LIKE HER.
    I JUST WENT OUT TO CHECK ON HER AND SHE DID LAY AN EGG. BUT IS STILL ALL FLUFFED UP AND SEEMS UNCOMFORTABLE. I CHECKED HER VENT AND EVERYTHING LOOKS CLEAN AND NORMAL (NOTHING HANGING OUT OR ANTHING) EXCEPT SHE KINDA FEELS HARD ALMOST LIKE YOU CAN FEEL ANOTHER EGG MAYBE. IS IT POSSIBLE SHE IS DOING A DOUBLE? COULD IT HAVE TO DO WITH THE FULL MOON? DIDN'T EAT ALL HER VEGGIES THIS AM EITHER. ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. SHOULD I JUST LEAVE HER ALONE? SHOULD I MENTION THAT ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO SHE LAID A MONSTER EGG? SORRY ITS SO LONG BUT I'M TRYING TO BE DETAILED AS SUGGESTED. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. [​IMG]

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Chickie, Sounds like she's gone broody. Did she try to peck you when you reached under her?

PS: try not to type in all caps, makes people think you are shouting.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    sorry that your Buff Orp isn't feeling well.

she may be egg bound, but it is hard to tell from the info. it could be a world of things.

have you seen her walk at all the past couple of days? is she drawing her legs up really odd? is her rump area looking large or swollen? (not the vent, her actual under/backside)

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Does she fluff herself up whenever you reach out to her? Does she make any light clucking or 'purring' sounds? If that is so, it sounds like she is broody, and that is perfectly normal, just her motherly instincts kicking in [​IMG] If she is indeed broody, you might have to take her off the nest once or twice a day just to make sure she is taking proper care of herself, but that's about it.

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Sounds like she is going broody. AKA, angry pancake syndrome. Does she make herself as fluffy as she can and utter evil noises?[​IMG]

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on your prolly broody pullet.

Try to reach under her and check for eggs....the growl or pick at your hand will tell you she is indeed broody. I hope that's the case.

bigzio

7. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    [​IMG] oops! sorry for shouting. i'm still so new at this. thanks for replying everyone. she was out and walking around earlier this morning. no egg in box. apppeared normal was pecking arround not walking funny or anything. went inside at about 10 am and thats where she stayed. usually lays arround 9 am she's pretty consistant. checked when i came home at 4pm when she didn't come see me and she was in the box all puffed up and yes making evil noises (screaching sound). left her alone. checked again at 6 and there was an egg but she is still puffed up like a giant feather duster. didn't try to bite or anything when we reached for the egg. living in southern ma isn't it too early for her to have babies. it's pretty cold still. i would love to be a chickie grand momma [​IMG]

8. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Welcome to the wonderful world of broodiness.
    It's great if you want chicks, but not so great if you want eggs. [​IMG]
    Or if you like hugging your hen. It's like hugging a porcupine with PMS.

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:I just shot chocolate milk out my nose!! [​IMG]

That's exactly what it's like!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by