Hen hasn't started laying again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katie-s, Oct 9, 2013.

1. katie-s

katie-s New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    My hen (not sure what breed, hatched last summer) hatched a chick this summer, 1st July. The hen still hasn't started laying again.

Does anyone know why this might be and how I could get her to lay again? Or will it just be waiting for spring?

Thanks

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    most hens will not start laying again until her chick is old enough to be off by itself. i've heard of mothers not laying until their babies lay! it's weird, and what i just said is not likely. she will most likely start laying again after the chick is off by itself. hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. katie-s

katie-s New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    The chick stayed with her for a few weeks but now runs with other chicks her age and I rarely see her with her mum. Perhaps I will be one of the unlikely ones! Should I put a fake egg in the best box? I've got some poults that should start laying soon so that might encourage them too. They have just started making chicken noises!

4. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Fake eggs is one option, although i usually put corn or a treat in a few of the nest boxes, just to get them interested. They figured it out themselves. I've heard a lot of people use fake eggs, so no big deal. I think that chickens are color blind, right? So they wouldn't know a flashy pink easter egg from a real white one???? LOL

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She may be getting ready to molt now. If she is, then you will be waiting until the molt is finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by