Hen hat anyone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by scooterward, Jan 15, 2011.

1. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    I'd like to get a little hat for Bubbles, our Salmon Faverolles. She's our favorite hen and apparantly the favorite of Wyatt the rooster too. He's taken off all the feathers on her back and I had to make her a jacket. Now she's got a giant bald spot on the back of her head from him too. grrrrr! This lack of feathers is totally freaking me out because it's been about -10 below zero some nights. Her jacket is working fine (she's growing back some fuzzy down) and now she needs a hat. I can't find one. Has anyone ever used one on their bald hen? I only saw one post where it was recommended to use BluKote spray.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I've never seen anything like that so I think the Blu-Kote is probably your best bet.
    I don't know if that will help too much, though-roosters are pretty determined little critters.

3. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    Thanks. I have some so I'll go do that now since they've been in bed for a while and will be sleeping. Her blue head will match her blue jacket! Styling! [​IMG]

4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband just suggested to me today to make a hat for my roo! I have Polish and the hens are pulling his crest feathers out. I have used Bluecote but it does where off. We were laughing about it and that I am the only person that would consider making a hat for a chicken. So it's interesting to find out I'm not the only one who has thought about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by