Hen hatched chicks

rainee63

Songster
Mar 12, 2017
North Alabama
These are my first chicks hatched under their mama. Just wondering what I need to do for them. The nest box in my coop is high so I blocked the door. I'm afraid they'll hop out and get stuck, unable to get back to their warm mama. But she knocks it down to get out sometimes. I guess I just wanted to know if I should just continue to keep them blocked in the nest area. Are there any tips I should know on how to care for them, or just let mama handle it? I offer starter feed and scratch feed. And I think they're about a week old now. I did lose one that fell out of the nest box, but the coop they're in is the most secure against my cats. This is new territory for me! How long will their mama keep watch over them? When can I move them into my bigger coop so the hen can have more freedom? She does hop out for a few minutes when I feed them but right now she's sticking very close. Any advice woud be awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_20180227_212316_316.jpg
    IMG_20180227_212316_316.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
The hen will want to and can take them out when they’re 1/2 days old. I’ve blocked hens from going outside of the nest and will never do that again as I had chicks trampled by the hens. At a week old, they’re fine to go out and mingle, as long as the hen is there to protect them and keep them warm. Once my hens’ chicks hatched I moved them to the floor of the coop and closed off the nest boxes, to avoid issues with the chicks not being able to get up to them. Some hens will wean their chicks at 6 weeks, some hens never let their chicks go, for example, I had a bluebell hybrid who weaned her chicks from her at 6 weeks, while my Pekin bantam still let her 16 week old polish sleep under her. I think it’s more dependant on the hens’ personality.
If you let them out they’ll likely head straight to the nearest dust bathing spot, gee, my hens were pushing the chicks outta the way to get there! It’s a sight, I have to say. They’re beautiful chicks. Hope all goes well for you :)

I did put a nest box on the ground, but of course today is their first day out and mama is keeping them on the other side of the coop. But I've been watching and they're doing OK. I will probably try to put them back inside at bedtime. Thank you for your advice!

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 8
I did put a nest box on the ground, but of course today is their first day out and mama is keeping them on the other side of the coop. But I've been watching and they're doing OK. I will probably try to put them back inside at bedtime. Thank you for your advice!
Cute....:frow..No need for the nest box though..I just make a straw nest and Momma brings them to it in a corner of the Coop...Congrats..It should be great!...:frow

Back
Top Bottom