Hen hatched her clutch, now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bbhorsefly, Aug 22, 2016.

1. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    My OE went broody and hatched out five chicks on Aug 4th. I'm just wondering when she'll start laying again?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It takes about a month for the brooding hormones to clear the system and for a hen to gain back enough weight. Then she will start laying again. Average time can be anywhere from 3 weeks after hatching to 8 weeks after. Plus, it's almost molting season, which could delay laying even more. Then the days may be too short. This time of year, there is no telling.

1 person likes this.
  3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    My broody hen started laying exactly 8 weeks after her she hatched her broody.
    She also stopped tolerating the "chicks" being too close to her about that same time.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I've had it happen in about 3.5 weeks. Each hen is different, and there are a lot of factors that can affect how soon laying starts again.

5. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks!

6. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Ours went 42 days including the 3 weeks she sat on the fertile eggs.
    She left them at night about the same time she started laying but still looked after them outside for another week or two- then it was "buh-bye!"

7. simplify

simplify Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Tk u all for this info, my bo hen hatched 2 cks who are 4 wks old now. The 3 are in sep pen and I plan to put her back w her flock and babies in with another group of cks from hatchery that are same age as the bo cks.I see that her cks barely fit under her wing when standing up and they are lingering longer away from her while foraging. I think they are with in a week or two of separating on thier own. Will be glad when not in 1ck mode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by