Hen hatching abandoned quail eggs

Tmartin7711

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
My neighbors had ripped up some bushes and found quail eggs. They set them nearby but the were abandoned. I have a broody silkie so I ran and grabbed them. She has been sitting on them for about a day. The neighbors said they were sitting there for about a week, any chance they could hatch?

My neighbors had ripped up some bushes and found quail eggs. They set them nearby but the were abandoned. I have a broody silkie so I ran and grabbed them. She has been sitting on them for about a day. The neighbors said they were sitting there for about a week, any chance they could hatch?
They could but I don't recommend putting them under a CHICKEN especially since they are about the size or half the size of your thumb when they hatch which could mean a chicken may EAT the poor thing or it will get trampled. Try hatching it by incubator.

They have a chance. They probably won't hatch but it's worth a try!

And a silkie should be fine for hatching, but there is slight disease risk for quail, but most people it works for the little guys.

Hope this works out!

They have a chance. They probably won't hatch but it's worth a try!

And a silkie should be fine for hatching, but there is slight disease risk for quail, but most people it works for the little guys.

Hope this works out!
I was thinking the same thing. My silkie is already smaller even for a Bantam but I will definitely watch to make sure the quail are safe if they hatch!

DO you know what kind of quail?
I completely disagree with hatching eggs under a CHICKEN. Have you ever tried this Hiram? This is a very dumb idea since the poor chicks will be trampled no matter the breed. I don't want this person to try this out and then get upset that the quail got crushed or anything. Please don't say its okay for chickens to hatch quails as you are spreading FALSE information.

DO you know what kind of quail?
Here is a egg. I'm not a quail expert but there are six and they all look like this some with more or less spots.

Attachments

• 20210531_140603.jpg
    20210531_140603.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 4
Get an incubator please. A chicken will NOT work at all. The poor things will be trampled to death.
I don't own a incubator. If those chicks have any chance of living it will be because she hatched them, and she has done a fabulous job so far. I've seen many people saying their bantams have hatched and raised quail. I'm not worried about her trying to hurt them but I will definitely keep an eye on them. All I need to know is of they have a chance at living

I don't own a incubator. If those chicks have any chance of living it will be because she hatched them, and she has done a fabulous job so far. I've seen many people saying their bantams have hatched and raised quail. I'm not worried about her trying to hurt them but I will definitely keep an eye on them. All I need to know is of they have a chance at living
Hey I just randomly came across this thread, did it work?!?!? 😃

Back
Top Bottom