Hen hatching ducklings, advice needed...

WoodwardRooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Ferndale
I gave 5 buff duck eggs to my silkie hen to hatch. Shes done a great job so far. The first baby hatched on Sunday, the 2nd on Monday. Now its Tuesday and the other 3 haven't hatched yet. I candled the eggs quickly, and I can see them moving so I know they aren't dead, and 2 eggs have had cracks on them since Monday too. How long can it take for a brood to hatch? Should I help along the 2 that have pipped so far? Is it normal for them to take 3 or 4 days to hatch?

Thanks!

I'do e togive advice but I haven't hatched anything myself... Someone should come along with info... But from reading sometimes it takes several more days for some to hatch.

I am not experienced, but have followed a few threads on hatching.

You probably already know duck eggs take 28 days (give or take), a week longer than chicks.

It can seem like an eternity for the whole hatching process to complete. How is the hen doing? Is she sticking with it?

Some people have brought egglings in to an incubator, especially if it seems the membrane has shrink wrapped the duckling.

Let's hope some experienced hatchers weigh in soon.

Sometimes they do need help, but often they need some patience, and occasionally time in an incubator. Do you have one or can you borrow one (and disinfect it beforehand) should that be needed?

Thanks for the input. The hen is doing fine. I think she would sit for months at a time if i would let her. Last night one more hatched, so now the ducklings are 3 days, 2 days, and about 12 hours old. I candled the last two eggs again, and i can see them moving. I don't have an incubator available. I put a layer of warm damp paper towel under the hen to help with adding moisture.

I also have looked through the posts, and all threads seem to be geared towards hatching with an incubator. If I was using an incubator and not a hen I wouldn't be that concerned. Its just that the older ducklings are getting a little rowdy, and I don't want to take them out because I'm afraid the hen will stop sitting. I guess if its normal for a hatch to be spread out over a few days then I wont worry.

Update: just got home and 4 have hatched so far, and the 5th will probably be out tonight. So lesson learned is that a hatch can take 4 days to complete. All of the ducklings seem healthy and vigorous so I guess it's best to let them take their time.

Back
Top Bottom