Hen hatching eggs this weekend ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewHobbyForMe, Aug 24, 2010.

1. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Hello all,

I've had a hen sitting on only five eggs. When they hatch due 28th should I let her take care of them or should I separate them. Her and the eggs are with fifteen other hens??

I've never hatched eggs before so really do have questions. I raised the hens I have since last year this month on chick feed so do not have any experience with new borns?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi,
    I would try to ensure that the momma hen is in some way separated from the other hens. Can you put up a barrier of some type? Some hens can be nasty and peck chicks.

Momma hen will look after the chicks......just leave water (shallow....a dish with pebbles in the bottom to stop chicks from drowning, and chick starter.

Did you mean that you have kept your adult birds on chick starter? Chick starter is not appropriate for adult hens (calcium too low for a start). Give your adult birds layer pellets plus oyster shell, cuttlefish bone etc, plus greens....they love to eat grass.

A hen will take care of a solo chick, so don't be concerned.

Good Luck,

Sandie

3. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    The forum is full of good information - pm me if you need any specific info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by