Hen Hatching eggs.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by skay clark, Sep 23, 2016.

1. skay clark

skay clark New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    Chicks will hatch on Qct. 2 and I was wanting to let the hen and chicks join the other chickens. I am concerned if the hen can keep the chicks warm enough since we live in western Colorado and the temperatures are starting to drop. We may see 32 degrees in tonight or tomorrow. Snow on the mountain above us.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined us! I answered your question over on the other forum so I'll just say best wishes and happy hatching!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. skay clark

skay clark New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm probably the dumbest new member or member, because I have not been able to find the other forum that your answer is on. Maybe you can help me out. Thank, Skay

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

She should be able to keep them warm enough, just make sure she has a nice deep nest with plenty of bedding. However, the hen should remain separate from any other birds for the duration of brooding and raising the chicks. Chicks may be killed by other flock members and the hen can be severely injured while trying to protect them. Just today my flock apparently ate two freshly hatched chicks from broody hen I didn't know was brooding (she found a very nice hiding spot).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I answered your other post as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by