Hen having a secret stash of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by <3ChickenForever, Mar 13, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Ok so my dad told me that he saw a hen go under the hen house and say an egg under there later. Well later we went down there and scooped out about a dozen eggs all frozen except a couple recently laid. Were gonna put chicken wire around the bottom of the hen house so it won't happen again. Lol, has this happen to anyone else??

2. deserthens

deserthens Chirping

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    Yes, had them lay in flower beds, compost pile, and under a brush pile when they had free run of the yard. Was not able to stop mine good luck with yours!

3. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Thanks! I think the chicken wire will defiantley work!!

4. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes...we have found a dozen of eggs up in our hayloft in the barn! We look up there every now again now!

5. chooniecat

chooniecat Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    She will become a possible brooder???Thats what my Broodie does.

6. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Quote:That's a question I asked earlier today. I was complaining that there weren't as many eggs as usual. I looked under the coop but didn't see anything. I finally found a hen laying an egg under there and got about a dozen eggs out today!! I am hoping someone will go broody but haven't seen anything that seems like it. I am really new to this part of it all. My girls are less than a year old and I was thinking of letting them have babies. From what I've read it's not that common for them to go broody although mine are BOs and are more likely to do so.
    One person who responded to me said that the eggs under the coop didn't suggest broodiness. Instead it demonstrates the eccentricity of the chicken. One lays there and the others do also. After I removed the eggs they all went back to the nesting boxes.
    Don't you just love these guys?

7. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:That's a question I asked earlier today. I was complaining that there weren't as many eggs as usual. I looked under the coop but didn't see anything. I finally found a hen laying an egg under there and got about a dozen eggs out today!! I am hoping someone will go broody but haven't seen anything that seems like it. I am really new to this part of it all. My girls are less than a year old and I was thinking of letting them have babies. From what I've read it's not that common for them to go broody although mine are BOs and are more likely to do so.
    One person who responded to me said that the eggs under the coop didn't suggest broodiness. Instead it demonstrates the eccentricity of the chicken. One lays there and the others do also. After I removed the eggs they all went back to the nesting boxes.
    Don't you just love these guys?

My hen isn't broody though, none of them are haha. The hen that was keeping them under there was my BO.
    and i agree with you, Attila

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: