Hen having a serious fit over saddle Help!!

justplainbatty

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
emmet MI
I brought a 9 month old hen inside two days ago for a laceration on her back. She is a flighty scared bird, has been since birth. I wanted to let her go back to her flock today so I put a cross strap saddle on her and took her out. Everyone is going by giving her the "where have you been" peck, she bows/cowers to everyone and is going around in reverse with her butt in the air and trying to pick at the straps. Will she stop after a while or wear herself out? It is super cold today and again tonight. Between the injury(which is looking ok) the saddle and going back to the cold, is it too much? I've never had such a panicky bird!! What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts!
smile.png

Last edited:
I've had some girls who just fluff themselves up and walk away as if nothing happened when I put a saddle on them for the first time, and others who moonwalked backwards for an hour or two!

There are also clips on Youtube of chickens who fly into walls and go a bit crazy when first faced with the saddle.

From all of my experiences though, after an hour or two they don't even notice it anymore.

I tend to see a better acceptance of the single strap versions rather than the double strap, so if you have ongoing issues you could swap it over to the single strap style, but I think in a little time she will adjust.

- Krista

I've had some girls who just fluff themselves up and walk away as if nothing happened when I put a saddle on them for the first time, and others who moonwalked backwards for an hour or two!

There are also clips on Youtube of chickens who fly into walls and go a bit crazy when first faced with the saddle.

From all of my experiences though, after an hour or two they don't even notice it anymore.

I tend to see a better acceptance of the single strap versions rather than the double strap, so if you have ongoing issues you could swap it over to the single strap style, but I think in a little time she will adjust.

- Krista

TY! All I have are cross strap where the straps go over the head and cross the chest and then go under the wings.(they're from My Pet Chicken, size small) I'll see how she is at roost time. I suppose I could order a different one for her but she's a bit of a runt. The saddle fits perfectly but I don't want her to lose her mind!
hmm.png

ETA: oops, size medium not small :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom