Hen having egg problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Soot the silkie, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    One of my hens has always had problems with her eggs, she will lay soft shelled eggs, sometimes without the shell and lay the shell later, eggs from the roost, take half a day to lay an egg and lay them in various places. It hasn't caused any trouble so far, but she is my favorite hen and she is only a year old. If she died of an egg issue I would be heartbroken. This is opposite to what most people ask, but is there any natural and safe way to have her stop laying eggs? I know that's a weird question but I think it would be best for her.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Making a hen go out of production is usually done by depriving them of food or keeping them in the dark. Both methods are used in production birds to force them to quit laying and to molt. I haven't heard of anyone spaying chickens so I don't think that's an option. I don't think you can actually get a hen to quit laying as they have been bred to lay more eggs over the years.

It might be better to try to figure out why your hen I having so many troubles. Things like diet and stress can contribute to laying problems. Soft eggs can be caused by stress. Fat hens will have troubles laying so limit treats and feed a good ration, and try to keep disturbances down.

I do understand not wanting anything to happen to a favorite animal. Give her a good place to live and good food and try not to worry too much.

3. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Ok, I don't want to do anything cruel to her, so I won't deprive her of food or anything. Thank you, I was just sort of wondering. She is the lowest in the pecking order so that might stress her out a little, but she is perfectly thin. I will try not to worry but I have such an emotional attachment to my hens...

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Have you wormed her?
    It's also possible that higher ranking birds are keeping her from the feed and crushed oyster shell. You do have crushed oyster shell available, right? And you are feeding a proper chicken feed, not just scraps and grains, right?
    Multiple feeders may help.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens do have endearing and quirky personalities. It's hard not to get attached to some of them. Most are quite healthy for many years without too much intervention.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Natural? No.
    There are drugs given that can make them stop ovulating, if you can find a good avian vet and want to pay for it.

Good Questions^^^^^

7. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I have wormed her, and they have proper feed and oyster shells. None of the other hens have any problems.

8. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Oh. Okay. Thanks!

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Try adding another feeder. And another dish of oyster shell. The higher ranking birds may be keeping her from consuming enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by