Hen head pecked and blood on eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CassInMass, May 14, 2010.

1. CassInMass

CassInMass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    I have four hens, three of which get along just fine, but the little Arucana is pecked on constantly by the Rose Comb Leghorn. Her head has no feathers left and I'm afraid her eyes may be pecked out next. Also, she often has blood on her egg shell. We tried putting her in another pen, but she paced nervously and wouldn't go in the shelter because she wanted to be with the other hens. Should I look for a new home for this one chicken. They are all one year old. Also, last year she laid green shelled eggs, this year they are white??

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    No-pick or pine tar on comb will suppress the offender's taste for `comb'. You could try separating out the leghorn for a few days and then reintroduce her (break up the pattern).

Good luck!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I had that happen - I rehomed the offender

4. paparootzi

paparootzi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Kingston, TN
    Quote:I've also heard to isolate or put in "jail" the offender!

But about the bloody egg.....I had an egg w/ blood on it a couple of days in a row so when I checked out my hens and found one w/ blood clotting and infection in cloaca, I took her to vet and he gave me some anti-biotics to give by mouth 2X/day for a week and she got better. She also had some feather loss on her back and the vet said she was probably the roos "favorite" and to seperate her for a while from the roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by