Hen healing after serious wounds (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicksOnBikes, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ChicksOnBikes

ChicksOnBikes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to say THANKS to those who helped me out with my hen Rachel both by responding to my posts and by answering other posts with similar questions (searching this site got me soooo much great info).
    Long story short, my 1-yr old Sussex hen Rachel suffered a major wound from a dog on her back. One side had a large abrasion that removed feathers and basically looked like a big brush-burn. The other side had a large wound that left her with approx 3" area without skin, and the skin sort of opened up towards the front of her body and the back, making it like two puncture wounds. They were at least 2" deep, like the skin had lifted up from the underlying muscle. Towards the back, the skin looked bad, and actually most of it died. She had a small number of maggots we were able to remove. We had her to the vet because I was afraid the dead skin was gangrene (trust me, it was gross). It wasn't. In treatment, we used dilute peroxide, dilute betadine, neosporin, silver-sulfadiazine cream (recommended by the vet), and oral antibiotic Baytril (crushed, in yogurt, from the vet). We were unable to effectively bandage it, and ended up with a chicken saddle for her. It's been 2 weeks and she's doing great.
    Below are pictures of both sides (a bit blurry), but you can see the extent of the wounds and the healing. I wanted to share these so people could see how well she has healed and what they might expect after a similar injury. She's already getting feathers back on the abraded side!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

Glad she is healing! LOVE this site too!

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    [​IMG]

4. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Glad she's healing!
    Thanks for the post - if this ever happens to one of mine (hopefully never - knock on wood)! I'll know what to do!

Chickens are amazingly resilient!

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    So glad the saddle helped! Cute chickie.

6. plan4him

plan4him Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Hi, this is Sammi the chicken's owner from "hen wounded can't get rid of maggots" thread. Rachel looks great! I'm so glad she is healing so well! Sammi's wound doesn't look near as good, though it seems to be SLOWLY healing. Maybe her one-day's absence and literally hundreds of maggots made for a more involved healing. I'm going to try to take some more pics and I"ll post them on our thread.

Keep getting better Rachel!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by