hen help aasap please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikki1496, Dec 22, 2013.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    My white crested polish hen us acting really weird. she does have poultry lice but shes also really skinny and lathargic shes sitting in my lap shaking and has her feathers fluffed please help

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    She is cold and lacking nutrients because of the lice. Put her in a small create with lots of warmth, food, and water. I would suggest adding some vitamins or sav a chick to the water. You also want to treat the lice with something like poultry dust or sevin. If you are going natural, Sevin now makes a natural one in a green bottle that works great (I've tried it).

3. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I wont be able to get the sevin till atleast the first. is there anything else i can use and the vitamins i wouldnt be able to bet till the cirst either i put a little sugar in her water thinking electrolytes but is there anything else i can use? I have her wrapped in a blanket on my lap. shes not eating unless i make her and when i make her walk she kinda wobbles or falls

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Honey works in the water, if you don't have any neighbors are usually helpful. She is very weak that is why she wobbles and falls. You need to treat the lice or it will pull her too far down. You can bathe her with lice shampoo, dog/cat flee shampoo, dish soap, or pine sol. These may not get the louse completely gone but all of them will at least reduce the loads. You want to make sure the water is warm and you dry her off quickly after. Use a blow dryer on low or if you don't have one then dry her off with a towel and have her near a good heat source like a heat lamp or heater. Make sure you dry off the under feathers because they can cool her off too much if they stay wet in her state. Make sure you clean the vent (butt) and under the wings very well because this is where the bulk of them are. Also, keep the wash off of her head.

5. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I washed her earlier with some just pet shampoo and got quite a few off her. i may wait a few days and try the dish soap. ive been hand feeding her food and its helping a little

6. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    If you have a dropper or syringe pull up fluid and drop into her beak. she will need lots of water. lots of water. nutrition, also, make a slurry of her pellets and dropper into her mouth. lots of warmth.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have coccidiosis? Mites are worse than lice, and if they are lice, I don't think they would make her that sick unless they are really really bad. The symptoms of cocci are lethargy, diarrhea, no appetite, paleness, ruffled feather, and puffing up. The treatment is Corid (amprollium) or Sulmet if you can't get the Corid. Corid is given 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid for 5 days. Special care is needed to get them to drink the meds.

8. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Her and the rest of the flock were vaccinated as chicks for cocci so i dont think its that. ive been using a dropper to give her water and made a mash of the food she eats it but then just drops her head and fluffs back up. how long would it take to see an improvement in her? I know she has some color back in her face which she didnt earlier. ive heard wood ash kills lice and mites is that true?

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old is she? If she is that skinny,then she has not been eating enough food. She is shaking b/c she is ill,when ill/injured chickens cannot regulate their body temp,this is why additional heat is important. Any crop issues? How does her poop look?

10. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Shes like 9-10 months i think. shes still shaking even though ive had her in the warm house. no crop issues it was empty earlier until i started feeding her by hand. could the other hens be keeping her from eating? And she hasnt pooped since ive had her inside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by