1. willowbendbb

willowbendbb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Our neighbors dog got out and pinned one of our hens underneath our house - I was able to get to it she seems ok except she is missing a bunch of feathers off her back. She is a little disoriented and doesn't want to stand but gobbled up an egg that I cooked for her. Most of the feathers were small but the dog did pull out some large ones leaving some bleeding on her back. What can I do. I took warm water and tried to clean the wound but wasn't sure what else. She is currently in the house separated from the other hens. How long do I need to keep her away? Two hens are still missing but I have looked every where and can't find them. I am hoping they will show up. The other 5 that were missing showed up shortly after I got rid of the dog.

2. willowbendbb

Mar 24, 2011
    Can I put neosporin on her back where the cuts are??

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello. I had the same thing happen several weeks ago with my neighbor's dog and one of my hens, and luckily everything turned out OK - hopefully it will for you too. Sounds like the wound is from her feathers being pulled and not puncture wounds from the dog's teeth, correct? If that's the case it should heal without a problem. Yes, you can put Neosporin on her wound to prevent infection and help with healing. Some folks on here say not to use Neosporin with pain reliever, but the pain reliever ingredient in Neosporin is not one that is harmful to chickens. Keep an eye on her for a few days to make sure the area is healing and not getting infected. In a day or two the area should start to dry up and scab over. I did not separate my hen, as she was acting OK and was eating and drinking and I thought she would be better off remaining with her flock. Sounds like yours is eating and drinking as well, which is a very positive thing. Is the would obvious so that your other chickens might start pecking at it? If not, and if she is standing/walking/eating/drinking OK, she might be better off with the rest of the flock. Do you see any obvious injuries that would keep her from standing?

Edited to say, 3 of mine were missing for several hours as well. but came out from their hiding places as soon as they felt safe again. Hopefully your will turn up safe and sound as well...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. willowbendbb

Mar 24, 2011
    thank you! I have let her hang out in a dark room for the afternoon and I'm going to go in there in a minute and see if I can get her to walk around. When I looked her over there was no sign that anything would prevent her from getting up so I am hoping it was just because she was in shock. There is one area on her back that I can't tell if it was completely punctured from the dog or from the feathers all being ripped out in one area. I am going to put neosporin on it and keep her in the house until I at least know she will get up and walk around. I haven't seen her poop yet either which has me a little concerned. The spot is pretty bare on her back but I think it will be hidden mostly if I move some of the feathers around so the other hens might not notice it.

I am hoping she turns out fine. The other chickens all finally did come back. I had to go and get one that was half way up the mountain behind the house and would not come down but she was fine once I carried her back to the coop!

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Glad to hear your other chickens are back [​IMG] I thought I'd never see mine again and when I saw them come out from their hiding places I couldn't believe I was actually seeing them lol. To hide a bare spot so others don't peck her you can cover it with Blu-Kote, but be VERY careful using it. It stains skin and clothing like crazy and I'm not sure will wash out of clothing. Please let me know if she is walking OK. I was worried about internal damage with mine just from the dog pouncing on and grabbing her but luckily she was fine. I hope yours will be too :)

6. willowbendbb

Mar 24, 2011
    Update:
    She still won't get up. She stands there for a minute but her wings are kind of hanging and after a minute she just lays back down. She has pooped and will eat if I put it right in front of her.

However I just had a weird thing happen- I was carrying her up into our spare shower for the night and was holding her when all of a sudden an egg literally fell out of her. It didn't have a shell but when it hit the floor there was like a membrane or something with the egg. What does that mean??

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When they are scared they can drop the egg before it has a chance to form a shell.

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    X2.

9. willowbendbb

Mar 24, 2011
    The hen is doing better. Still moving a little slow - I'm thinking maybe she is sore? However, I tried to put her back up in the coop last night - we had all the hens out so I let her walk around with them and everyone got on the roosts find last night. However, I let them all out this morning and I noticed that she is getting almost attacked. A few of th hens are singling her out and pecking at her face and almost biting her and holding on around her neck and chasing her. What can I do to help? She was only out of the flock for 2 days.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

She is at the bottom of the pecking order because she is a newcomer now...give them time unless she is actually getting injured. If there is one bully and is hurting her I'd remove the bully for awhile, but this sounds like normal pecking order business unless they are hurting her for real.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by