1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Hemorrhoids?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kriswrite, Sep 16, 2012.

1. kriswrite

kriswrite Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    I have a hen who has what looks like a hemorrhoid right next to her vent. It's swollen and bloody. Maybe it's an infected follicle? Can anyone point me in the right direction by telling me what this *might* be? Thanks so much.

Kristina

2. Keen

Keen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    Australia
    hen-orrhoid?? [​IMG]

Seriously though, is it possible that it's a prolasped vent, or is it not that bad? If you can get her to stand still long enough, pics might help some of the cleverer members than myself?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sounds like a prolapse. You want to clean her off with bedadine wash , apply hemroid cream or honey to the area and try and push it carefully back in. Put her in a clean, dark area with food and water by herself. Other chickens would start pecking at her. Hopefully it will go back with little help.

4. kriswrite

kriswrite Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Thank you! That's exactly the problem. I've read up on it, and we are trying to help her. Unfortunately, it keeps popping back out. Fortunately, the swelling has lessened.

5. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Yes, it's a prolapse. Have you separated her from the flock? The other hens will peck her to death if they see it. I successfully kept a prolapse back in using honey - not only is it sticky and has natural antibacterial components, but it's hydrophobic - it pulls out moisture and keeps the air dry (counter-intuitive, but it works!) You can see what I did on this blog entry:
    http://hencam.com/henblog/2007/07/folk-medicine-cure/

6. ddcile55

ddcile55 New Egg

Jun 11, 2015
    I tried to clean off the prolapse and carefully push it back in.
    As I did she bared down and it popped and her intestines came flying out.
    She started to bleed and I could here free air. I had my husband
    Carefully and lovingly put her out of her misery. I feel very bad I failed at
    This. I don't think she had much if a chance so it
    was the only thing I could try. The prolapse was the size
    Of my fist. So sad I lost my "Dino Bird"

7. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Oh sorry. That sounds terrible. [​IMG] You did the right thing.

8. ddcile55

ddcile55 New Egg

Jun 11, 2015
    Ya it was hard , still trying to get over it.
    She was such a cute bird , but I don't
    Think she could have survived it I did
    Nothing. Thankfully my other girls are
    Doing well. Thanks for info and support
    Everyone !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by