1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen hips

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CGilbert, Mar 9, 2016.

1. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    So i know that when a pullet is ready to lay, her hips get wider. But, will a hens hips get skinnier during winter months when she's not laying?

2. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I don't think so, a woman's hips after childbirth still stay widened.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I believe they do, I wonder this also and have read that even olders birds pelvic bone spacing decreases when not in lay. I had good luck examining pullets pelvic points, but have only tried it with one hen and her points had gotten closer together when she was not in lay.

'Hips get skinnier' might be kind of misleading.
    You have to actually feel the pelvic points on both sides of the vent to determine their spacing. Maybe you know this.

The condition of the vent will also change, being wider and moister while in lay, smaller and drier when not in lay,
    tho I have not personally tracked this....I think it takes some practice/experience to be able to spot it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by