Hen holding her head angled to one side

LutzFLdawg

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Florida
Our cuckoo marin started holding her head cocked to one side a few days ago, and today it seems to be bothering her so much she couldn't walk out of the coop. Sometimes she'll hold her head up straight, and sometimes it's turned completely upside down. She does seem to be scratching at her head, but I didn't feel any swelling when I felt her neck and head, nor did I see any parasites. Does anyone have an idea about what's wrong with her? Thanks!

Here are some pics holding her head funny:

I checked on her again this morning, and she had to be pushed down the coop ramp. She ran right to the food, and seemed to be able to eat normally, but can't make it up or down the coop ramp.

I've been doing some reading and it seems this may be crookneck, but I've found all sorts of conflicting info on treatment. Ca anyone describe a successful treatment regimen for crookneck?

thanks. I found that page already, but I also found other people's experiences where they didn't use prednisone because it can be harmful to poultry. I guess I'm trying to cut through the noise and get to something that works without being harmful to the bird.

I also seem to be having the same sort of thing happenig to my 9 month old Salmon Favorlle, He seems to trun his neck all the was back so the his comb is on his back and he rubs it, he never did that when he was younger it seem to start about January He olny dose this when we open his cage door to feed and water him. I checked his back and neck looking to see anything or if he was itching something he seems ok. also when I life his back he almost convulses like hes have seasures and acts as if hes rolling once you stop tuching him like hes rolling in a dust pan... im so worried and yet i wonder if hes just a goofy acting chicken.?? his parents behave normally and they are not from the same culch they where owened by two diffrent people before I got them last summer

I checked on her again this morning, and she had to be pushed down the coop ramp. She ran right to the food, and seemed to be able to eat normally, but can't make it up or down the coop ramp.

I've been doing some reading and it seems this may be crookneck, but I've found all sorts of conflicting info on treatment. Ca anyone describe a successful treatment regimen for crookneck?
Check the threads pertaining to Vitamin E encephalopathy or Crazy chick disease. I had a chick that presented with this issue and successfully treated by hand feeding (It couldn't eat), and supplementing with Vitamin E, Nutri Drench, and Selenium. don't know about this with an older bird, but you've got nothing to loose.

I just watched her walk up the ramp with only slight trouble getting up the ramp. I checked on her all afternoon, and she seemed to eat and drink with no problem too. The head tilt wasn't as bad looking today as it was yesterday. The chickens tend to bunch up in the coop, so my concern is that the bunching up is going to make the torsion worse.

We picked up B complex, E and selenium tonight, and will begin treating her tomorrow.

Hi. I've just come across your thread which you posted some time ago. I have a young copper moran who is also holding her head to one side. She is capable of holding it up but doesn't seem able to maintain that position. To begin with she also didn't seem to have very good balance and wasn't eating. The vet is treating her for a middle ear infection. He also said it could be Marek's Disease for which there is no treatment and ultimately the hen would die as a result of not being able to eat or drink. My hen can eat but I haven't seen her take a drink in several days now so I am giving her water a number of times a day using a syringe. She is now walking fine but still not holding her head properly. Did your hen recover and if so what measures did you take.

Our cuckoo marin started holding her head cocked to one side a few days ago, and today it seems to be bothering her so much she couldn't walk out of the coop. Sometimes she'll hold her head up straight, and sometimes it's turned completely upside down. She does seem to be scratching at her head, but I didn't feel any swelling when I felt her neck and head, nor did I see any parasites. Does anyone have an idea about what's wrong with her? Thanks!

Here are some pics holding her head funny:

She has Crooked neck. It's a vitamin deficiency that will kill her if you don't get it fixed You can give them herbal tea But make sure it's the right kind I don't remember what kind because my wife always gets it

Back
Top Bottom