Hen holding tail to side

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NitaAZ, Oct 18, 2009.

1. NitaAZ

NitaAZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    One of our hens (a brown leghorn) holds her tail to one side. She's still active and healthy and laying eggs. But is this an indication of something to worry about?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Does she hold it that way all the time? Probably just a quirky hen!

Try waiting until she roosts at night then check the whole south end for lice or mites. Just a wild guess, I've never had one do that.

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    If she does it all the time then it's the way she's made. In show chickens it's called a "wry tail," and it's a disqualification. Don't know why. As you say, she's healthy and productive, and that's all that matters, isn't it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. NitaAZ

Apr 21, 2009
    Yep, she does it all the time.

I figured it was ok, but thought it might be an indication of something more serious.

The muscles on one side of the tail seem more developed that on the other side, so she's just being a funny girl. Working those lunges too much on side. ;-)

Nita

5. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Myhen's neck staying turning to the left all the time. What is this? She is eatting. I tried to manually turn her neck/head to the right and she wouldn't let me and forced it back to the left. What's going on here??? Someone please give advice.

6. NitaAZ

Apr 21, 2009
    For future reference, here's a pic of the hen.

[​IMG]

7. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I have one that does the same thing - I think it's just the way she is.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    definately a wry tail. You do not want to breed her but it will not affect her way of laying eggs. Enjoy her!

9. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:OK...tell me does the other two hens get this? I have separated her but during the day all three are together. I massage her neck, I can't really move or keep it to the right but I see her close her eyes and enjoy my massage to her neck and talk to her.

Is this contagious to the other hens>?

She started this all of a sudden but it's been going on for a week now and I see no end in sight for her. I feel bad for her.

10. LucynPecker

LucynPecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2013
    Athens, Tx
    Whew, glad to find this. I was so worried about one of my Ladies. She carries her tail like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by