1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Hopping Around

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nevaschickens, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Nevaschickens

Nevaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    Florida
    One of my hens is hopping on one leg. I checked her out no signs of bumble foot or a broken leg. She doesn't seem to be in pain. Shes getting around and seems to be pretty happy. Any ideas what it could be... If anything.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Maybe she jumped of height and got a sprain. If it was a break there would be more distress. I have had chicks limping in the past, and since it wasn't serious, it went away. There is a degree of discomfort , otherwise there would be no limping . HOPE SHE RECOVERS SOON.
    [​IMG]

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'm wondering if she maybe just landed wrong and tweaked a joint or foot? I know when I jump from somewhere too high, it can hurt!

Worst case scenario, she may have slipped her hock or her Achilles tendon is out of place.

How long has she been limping? Does the leg want to turn inward or outward?

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Nevaschickens

Nevaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    Florida
    It just happened today. It's slightly turning inward. I'll keep a good eye on her. If doesn't go away in a few days than I'll start to worry.

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If you want to help bring down some of the inflammation, you can offer a little of her regular feed mixed with turmeric and a splash water (just enough to make it "thick" and get the turmeric to stick to the feed)... Turmeric is one of nature's greatest anti-inflammatories. You can't overdose and it won't hurt your chickens. The worst thing that could happen is it'll turn you and your mamas yellow. :)

Also, I would consider bringing her inside and putting her in a dog crate. I fear that being around other chickens could cause her more stress or cause the other birds to start picking on her if they sense she is a little "off." Give her a little rest, TLC, and turmeric and see if she's able to heal herself.

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by