Hen house ideas?

JacksonPearce

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
Hi all-- I'd like to get some outside thoughts on this before I start building.
This is my bantam pen (save one Marans who thinks she's a bantam). I also use it as a growout pen from time to time. Right now, the henhouse/nesting box are on the back, as pictured. However, I need to convert that area into a rabbit hutch; I don't have space for a separate rabbit hutch with a run, and want to allow the rabbits access to the chicken run from time to time for exercise. This means I need to build on an additional henhouse/nesting box area.

I would rather not increase the footprint of the existing coop, so I feel like I have three options--

1 (yellow): Put the hen house/boxes UNDER the rabbit hutch. This would be quite low, essentially ground level, which concerns me, especially since I do have one full sized hen in there. I could bring the rabbit hutch floor up a bit, but it would still only be about two feet tall and ground level. It would also be underneath the rabbit poop catch tray, but I don't think that would be a huge problem.

2 (red): Build on top of the current henhouse. This would be quite high, and I don't love that it would block more of my view of the backyard area-- but if this is the best option, I can do it.

3 (blue) add a triangular henhouse/egg box onto the door. This would take some engineering, but I can do it (I'd put two braces/wheels to allow it to roll/move). The entire triangular egghouse/door would roll out to access the right side interior of the rabbit hutch (which I wouldn't need to access all that often anyhow). This is definitely the most complicated solution, but it's an idea all the same.

I'd love to hear any additional ideas you might have, or additional thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2705.jpg
    IMG_2705.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Currently leaning toward the lower/underneath option. Does anyone have a ground level henhouse/egg box?

Hi all-- I'd like to get some outside thoughts on this before I start building.
This is my bantam pen (save one Marans who thinks she's a bantam). I also use it as a growout pen from time to time. Right now, the henhouse/nesting box are on the back, as pictured. However, I need to convert that area into a rabbit hutch; I don't have space for a separate rabbit hutch with a run, and want to allow the rabbits access to the chicken run from time to time for exercise. This means I need to build on an additional henhouse/nesting box area.

I would rather not increase the footprint of the existing coop, so I feel like I have three options--

1 (yellow): Put the hen house/boxes UNDER the rabbit hutch. This would be quite low, essentially ground level, which concerns me, especially since I do have one full sized hen in there. I could bring the rabbit hutch floor up a bit, but it would still only be about two feet tall and ground level. It would also be underneath the rabbit poop catch tray, but I don't think that would be a huge problem.

2 (red): Build on top of the current henhouse. This would be quite high, and I don't love that it would block more of my view of the backyard area-- but if this is the best option, I can do it.

3 (blue) add a triangular henhouse/egg box onto the door. This would take some engineering, but I can do it (I'd put two braces/wheels to allow it to roll/move). The entire triangular egghouse/door would roll out to access the right side interior of the rabbit hutch (which I wouldn't need to access all that often anyhow). This is definitely the most complicated solution, but it's an idea all the same.

I'd love to hear any additional ideas you might have, or additional thoughts!
Could you maybe extend it out into the run? Keeping it at the same level, (on stilts). This would still allow the ground space to run around, and maybe a place to get up on. Plus, you wouldn’t be blocking any more of your view, which looks nice.

Currently leaning toward the lower/underneath option. Does anyone have a ground level henhouse/egg box?
yeah, I have a kids plastic play house that I turned into a coop for my silkies, sitting on a pallet, on the ground. And my silkies nest on the floor. It’s completely enclosed in the run.
53D4ACB1-87F3-43AD-BB4C-E761D157F304.jpeg
7D65A1A0-C577-4F86-88B3-5C59A70E7877.jpeg

The window on the left is a 1 foot long hallway leading to the floor of my expansion. It sits on logs and has a dust bathing area underneath. Bath area was already there, I built over top.
508E3094-4B43-4E4B-8AEF-DF41602F630C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom