Hen house inside a chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dirty Farmer, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    We get a bit of snow here in MI. I only live two miles from lake Michigan, and I'm completely surrounded by farm feild, so there is no wind break of any kind. So my biggest problem is battling snow drifts from the wind. The little hen house (4'x5') that I built this summer out of scrap pallets, I was thinking of rolling it into the 40'x70' building for the winter. The little coop isn't insulated, so being inside another building should be warm enough for the hens in the winter months? It's a non-heated building that it can be pushed into.

[​IMG]
    Here's the little hen house in question.

[​IMG]
    Here's some of the drifting that we get. Even though we might not get any snow fall that night, you never know what kind of snow drifts you'll wake upto in the morning.
    [​IMG]

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I think that would help. But insulting it will help too.

3. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    When we moved from the northeast to the Olympic Peninsula we left our snowshovel back there! Never again. Move the coop to where you can. Your hens are not going to scratch that much snow, and you may not be able to water and feed. That or move to a more agreeable climate.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Burrrrr! Definitely move it.

5. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Please move them into the bigger building! You might not find them till spring with the size of those drifts.

6. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Where are you located on the olympic peninsula? We are in Gig Harbor and I am looking for little buff, white or paint silkie chicks. Do you know of anyone who might have some located arond here?

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW!! That is some snow! We rarely see the stuff! But we do get ice.. lots of ice. Sigh. Anyway, I'd do whatever will make it easiest on you to water and feed and get to them. Oh and btw--- that is an adorable coop! I LOVE it! Great that it moves around in this case! [​IMG] I take it that the chickens will just run around the inside of the barn during the winter? Sounds like a nice winter set up to me.

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Hey Dirty Farmer, Love those drifts! I would move them into the bigger building also, maybe build a make-shift run in the bigger building also. I have one in my garage right now, cuz I do not think it will last in the winter. I built a little make shift run area for them to scratch around in. Hay, straw, scratch and feed...

Either that, or move the coop up against your house, and use the house for a break, and if you've a snow blower, blow yourself and the chickens a path and area to run around in on those days where the sun is out and temps aren't to bad.

My neighbor blows paths around his yard to make it easier for him to get to the rabbits and chickens. This is my first winter, and I will be blowing more than just paths. I will be blowing larger areas for the girls to run around in if they feel like venturing out of the coop. I also have a small protected run area in case they want out, but are not that adventurous.

What part of MI you in? I am in Holland, so I know all about them winds...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  9. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I LOVE your little roll-about coop! Nice job!

10. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:LOL....small world. I'm in Holland also, on the south side, just past the airport tunnel. Nice to see another backyarder here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by