Hen House Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fiwi, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    I have 2 Silkies and would love a house like this for them. This one is from Happy Hen House in Ireland and they don't ship to the US. Does anyone know of anything similar in the states?
    [​IMG]

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    That is really cute- but you probably could build something similar yourself, or hire someone local to do it and get better quality than most of the coops you order. Did you check the coop section here for something similar?

3. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    Have just found someone to build it for me! It can be made with a run, but I think my hens can safely free range during the day. I would appreciate anyone making suggestions as to design improvement. One thing I was wondering, how does one go about cleaning the nest box when it's on the outside like this? I was thinking it would be a good idea to have the back wall hinged so it could drop down and be scooped out.

Also, I read somewhere that hens like to "jump up" into their nest box. Any thoughts? This one is designed on one level. The smallest box in the picture below is a feed bin that has a pull out cup. I don't think I'm going to do that as it will add to the cost.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  4. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    If you peruse this forum you will find equally nice, if not nicer, henhouse ideas that are easy and not expensive. I would wait awhile before I order something. Even if you are having one built for you, looking at others might keep you from wishing you did something a little differant.

5. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:Thank you for your advice! I have been looking around for a while and really like this one. Since my 2 hens will free range, I don't need anything too big--just something cozy and comfortable to put them away safely during the night or on the occasion when I out for extended hours during the day.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I think you may want a bit of a run - I would be leary of free ranging when you aren't home. It seems there is always something that wants a nice chicken dinner.

7. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:Do you think it's okay to let them free range since I have an 8' fence? I would keep them in the coop area if I was going to be out more than a couple of hours. There is some grassy area in this design, so I thought that would be enough when they couldn't free run during the day.

If I wanted to make the entrance to the nesting area a circle, what should the circumference be (silkie size)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by