Hen House Surveilance?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Granma in Costa Rica, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Granma in Costa Rica

Granma in Costa Rica In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery operated, jungle resistant, inexpensive remote camera that can send a signal to my PC from less than 50 feet?

This analytical chemist needs more information about what is going on in the hen house... Who is who in the zoo...

PS. To any kind chicken folk who respond, I must catch the bus back to my jungle. I only get to the internet cafe once or twice a week. I will be back.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I tried a wireless camera. Daytime pictures were ok but really couldn't see anything at night even though I have a low watt light in their coop. Here is a picture of their coop with the red light I have in it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. plowbouy

plowbouy In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2009
    Iowa
    I use a Dlink DCS-950G wireless camera (with mic) which goes to my wireless router (over 200 ft). Then I pull it up on my pc using windows internet explorer application.

The camera has a built in web server so you can literally watch it from anywhere in the world.. or (work, vacation.. etc)

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:How well does it work at night?

5. Quote:Are you getting good quality images ...I had looked at this model and so many of the customer reviews were poor. The price is about $170 so it is a good price, just wished the reviews were more positive.

6. plowbouy

plowbouy In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2009
    Iowa
    It has a "night mode" and brightness adjustment built into the camera. I have a 15 watt bulb in the coop (16x16 ft) that is on at night just to have some dim light inside. I can see the girls on the roost faily well..

The picture is a little grainy at night, but during the day is very clear. Without the 15 watt bulb, the camera would not show anything. But that is to be expected.. as you have to have light to see in the dark..

7. plowbouy

plowbouy In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2009
    Iowa
    not sure how ya'll upload picts into the thread.. I aint figured that out yet.. I'd upload some snapshots so you can see them as soon as I figure it out..

8. plowbouy

plowbouy In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2009
    Iowa
    Try this.. See if the picts show up.. Here is when I had the camera in side facing the roosts and nests.. Picture is during the daytime. I dont have any night snapshots.
    [​IMG]

Here is a snap shot I took at 630pm tonight. I moved the camera outside for a change of scenery last week. Only the roo is outside. Oh, and the bird bath is not for birds.. it's one of many "kitty" watering holes around the farm.
    [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you use a regular light or red bulb? I bought a wireless camera but even with a light the pictures were really poor so I returned it. Since I have bought a wired multi camera system. I have good night vision with it. I can view on my computer anywhere in the world but it was pretty costly. Here is a picture I just took with it. Right now it is cloudy with the setting sun trying to peek through. I just realized I have the year wrong and it says 2019.

[​IMG]

10. plowbouy

plowbouy In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2009
    Iowa
    I use a white light (15 watt) .. It's just enough so they can see, yet dark enough for them to settle in and sleep all night long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: