1. TedrickRumohr

TedrickRumohr New Egg

Jun 16, 2010
    South Bay Area
    I have my coop ready, but it's empty. I don't want to go and buy hen houses because I'd prefer to build my own. My question is, does anyone know any basic designs or any websites that show how to make a basic hen house? Thank you!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello--do you mean nest boxes? If so, there are lots and lots of spec for those.......search and ye will find! LOL

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I was a bit confused as well?? Are you talking about the housing (calling the run the coop???)??? Or are you referring to nest boxes?

4. TedrickRumohr

TedrickRumohr New Egg

Jun 16, 2010
    South Bay Area
    Yes, the nest boxes. I'm sorry

5. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Lots of people successfully use free buckets from Wally World's bakery (been getting these for years, ask for the ones that had white icing in them, easiest to clean out).

Cut half the lid away, fasten to bucket, turn on side, fill with bedding (hay, straw, shredded newspaper, whatever) half-way up the side, add golf ball (works every time!) [​IMG]

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm a big proponent of using something plastic for a nestbox, and making it moveable. It's easier to keep clean (no crevices for mites to hide in), easy to replace the bedding (just bring the whole nest over to the composter and dump), and very convenient should you have a broody hen that you want to move to a different location: you just move the nestbox with the hen and eggs right in it!

I've got two plastic lidded storage bins, plus one covered cat litterbox for nestboxes, and I love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by